Weyerhaeuser is seeking a Forest Engineer for our 423,000 St. Helens Tree Farm based out of Longview, Washington. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Longview Operations Team Leader and is a part of the team providing planning and management of activities. Salary range dependent on qualifications and experience.
The Longview operation is based at Castle Rock, approximately 16 miles north of Longview, Washington. This position is responsible for the planning and management of field engineering activities and the supervision of the hourly engineering crew. In addition, it requires active involvement in the planning of road construction and road maintenance activities; and will be involved in harvest planning and scheduling. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in the Integrated Skills Development Process (ISDP). The objective of ISDP is to provide for a structured process for individual development matching business skill set needs in the areas of forestry, engineering, land use, and harvesting
Employ professional engineering skills to the planning and field implementation of road construction, road maintenance, cable/ground-logging systems, and harvest unit layout. Ensure compliance with state and federal wildlife, water and forest practice rules/statutes. Support the team leaders with effective crew interactions and supplemental leadership as necessary. Effective management of expense and capital budgets. Negotiate, prepare, and administer contracts. Act as company representative with land owners, government agencies, and community representatives. Strong advocate for safety within the team and throughout the operation for company and contractor activities. Ensure compliance with state and federal safety statutes, environmental requirements and Weyerhaeuser resource and stewardship goals.
About Our Timberlands Business:
We’re experts in growing, nurturing, harvesting and replanting trees without harming the environment or exhausting the supply. Our timberlands team attracts world-class professionals who understand how to make the most of our remarkable, renewable resource — to meet the needs of our investors, customers and communities today, and for decades to come.
For more than a century, Weyerhaeuser has grown and harvested trees to make innovative products that meet important human needs. We’re serious about safety, focused on performance and proud of what we do. In every corner of our company, you’ll find talented people who care about each other, the communities where we operate, and the planet we all share.
- BS Forest Engineering or Forest Operations.
- Minimum 3 years of operational forest engineering experience preferred.
- Candidates with Northwest regional field experience will be strongly considered.
- Must be highly motivated, a self-directed team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) needed to effectively function as part of a team.
- Should be able to prepare, permit, negotiate, administer and monitor contracts.
- Able to develop, prioritize, plan, implement and manage activities to meet targets and deadlines.
- Ability to deal with state and federal wildlife, water and forest practice rules/statutes.
- Familiarity with Washington Forest Practice rules is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills w/proficiency in use of personal computers and related software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Geographical Information Systems are highly desirable with desire to learn.
- Current driver’s license is required as work involves driving company vehicles on rough roads (25,000 miles per year).
- Minimum of 50% of work time is spent in the field, much of it on steep or broken ground covered with slash and brush.
- Field work accomplished under variety of weather conditions; all that the Northwest has to offer. Operations are highly weather dependent; work could include occasional weekend work.
Please visit http://weyer.jobs/8635
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.