This position will manage all operations of an area. Responsible for all senior level operations assignments including, silviculture, harvesting, transportation systems, land use, outreach, and stakeholder interactions. The individual is expected to exhibit qualities, skills, leadership attributes, teamwork, etc. over and above that required of an area manager.
LINK: Manulife and John Hancock Careers – Workday (myworkdayjobs.com)
- Encompasses approximately 150,000 acres
- Required to develop and maintain relationships with regulatory agencies, concerned stake holders, HFM staff, and HTRG staff
- Lead staff in forest management operations, including harvest operations, silviculture, road construction and maintenance, and land management
- Knowledgeable in all areas of asset management to include but not limited to; harvest operations, road construction and maintenance, silviculture prescriptions, budget preparation, stakeholder interaction, negotiation, scaling practices, surveying, wildlife initiatives, road use agreements, forest health asset protection, technical services like GIS and inventory, cruising, etc.
- Manage and lead area personnel, build core competencies of the team
- Lead all area operations
- Develop annual property budgets and forecasts
- Stewardship and SFI compliance
- Stewardship of people, including development, implementation, and leadership in support of the HFM safety principles
- Perform basic mapping tasks with ArcMap and inventory updating
- Support HNRG groups such as Acquisitions, Client Account Group, etc.
- Recruitment, hiring and development of new employees
- Other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Forest Management, Forest Engineering, or related field; advanced forestry and/or engineering degrees highly preferred.
- Fully developed skill sets across all forestry disciplines
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft computer software, with emphasis in Excel, Access, and Word preferred
- Proven team player, able to understand and work with others’ needs and with different personalities
- Highly motivated and entrepreneurial
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Clear understanding of HFM/HNRG’s business model
- In depth working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
- A minimum of ten years’ applicable experience and proven experience in all aspect of industrial forest management.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing and leading direct reports
- Proven history of high performance
Key Internal Relationships
Region Staff: Work with peers to implement the harvest plan, meet all policies, and coordinate projects with other business functions.
Region – Area Managers: Assist with the planning, permitting, and administration.
HFM Accounting Team: Assist with the resolution of log accounting issues.
HFM Resource Support Team: Assist with the inventory updates and harvest planning process.
HFM Client Accounting Team: Assist with special projects and tours as required.
Key External Relationships
Industry Peers: Share appropriate information; Stay current on industry issues
Regulatory Agencies: Maintain strong working relationships and stay current with regulatory requirements.
Stakeholders: Maintain strong working relationships.
Local Contractors: Maintain strong working relationships with contractors and communicate customer specifications and needs.
Hancock Natural Resource Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to maintaining a work environment that is free from the influence of illegal drugs and alcohol. As a result, all current and perspective Hancock employees are subject to be drug and alcohol tested in accordance with the Policy and applicable law.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to employ, train, promote and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of September 30, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$943 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.2 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com.