The Ecological Restoration Institute (ERI) at Northern Arizona University (NAU) is seeking to fill a position for a Research Associate who will implement the ERI’s forest products business and biomass utilization projects in accordance with the ERI and NAU strategic plans and annual work plans set out by the organization. The successful candidate will work collaboratively to develop new research projects, manage ongoing research activities, support the ERI’s outreach programs on federal, state, tribal, and private lands, and assist in the development of forest products industry and wood utilization innovation strategies. S/he will work within the guidelines, policies, and mission of the ERI and NAU.
The ideal candidate would start in March 2022 or soon after. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Planning and designing new research projects, establishing priorities, and recommending work schedules and costs.
- Performing complex statistical analyses which includes selecting appropriate analysis procedure, setting up data for analysis, and producing written reports and journal articles on the result of the analysis.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties at professional conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Coordinate the efforts of implementing forest operations and biomass utilization projects between federal, state and local funding agencies.
- Effectively use technology and tools in forest products business management and in-woods forest operations to facilitate project’s success.
- Supervise and train classified staff, graduate research assistants or undergraduate student employees.
- Liaisons with other NAU departments to ensure success of project.
For more information on the Ecological Restoration Institute, please visit https://nau.edu/ERI/.
Master’s degree in Forest Products Marketing or Forest Operation/Economics and five years of directly related work experience or other experience pertinent to this position
PhD in Forest Products, Forest Economics or related field and three years of directly related work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and research experience in a wide range of forest products companies adding value to small-diameter wood and forest residues.
- Demonstrated understanding of secondary research techniques such as systematic reviews of literature to provide up-to-date information on forest economics and forest products industry.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and direction of forest operation projects in the context of ecological restoration in partnership with professional staff and external collaborators.
- Demonstrated field-work experience in field-based studies evaluating economics and operational logistics of forest operations such as mechanical fuels treatments and forest thinning projects.
- Demonstrated experience leading, coordinating and/or supervising the work of others.
- Demonstrated experience in writing reports, peer reviewed publications, and outreach materials.
- Demonstrated experience in giving oral presentations to audiences of scientists, natural resource managers, policymakers, private industry, and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of, experience with, and commitment to working in a culturally diverse environment with people from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Must have excellent organizational, project management, and communication skills.
- Able to communicate what the ERI does and what it needs to be successful to a wide spectrum of interests.
Salary and additional information
Salary range begins at $54,779. Annual salary commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and related experience.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees’ right to work in the United States.
To view the job posting on Northern Arizona University’s website, please go to https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/current-job-openings/ and click on “Staff Openings” to get to the Staff Job Openings page. Click on the “Research Associate – 606036” listing. To apply for this position, click on the “Apply Now” button within the job posting page. You must submit your application by clicking on the “Submit” button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at http://hr.nau.edu or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
Please complete all sections of online application even if submitting a resume. Provide work history information for at least 10 years, if possible, account for and explain all gaps in employment longer than 30 days in duration.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Affirmative Action Office at (928-523-3312/TDD – 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083; Flagstaff, AZ 86011.
Thank you for your interest in this position!