Our expectation is that the successful candidate will build an outstanding and recognized research program in sustainable forest operations and have a passion to instruct and mentor students pursuing studies in the field. The focus of research may include: forest operations, forest resource harvesting, safety, transportation and logistics, and roads and environmental impacts. The selected candidate will complement current departmental strengths in forest soils, watersheds and wetlands, silviculture, forest management and business, and geospatial analysis.
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 9-month appointment with primary responsibilities in teaching (50%) and research (50%). The successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the area of sustainable forest operations, that may include forest harvesting and sustainable forest product supply chain courses. Advising and mentoring of both graduate and undergraduate students is required. Participation in departmental, college, and university affairs is expected.
Our Forestry Division, Tahoe District, has an opening for a qualified District Forester to help sustainably manage the Company’s timberlands in Nevada, Yuba, Placer, and Sierra Counties. This position will involve preparation of harvest plans and administration of harvest operations. Work will be out of the Tahoe office in Grass Valley, CA requiring living in one of the surrounding communities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Develop and prepare Timber Harvest Plans (THP’s), including research, field work, mapping and writing
- Administer contracts for field operations including marking, logging and road construction
- Effectively and professionally interact with state regulatory agencies
- Conduct surveys including botanical, wildlife, and archeological
- Forestry-related project work in a wide range of weather and field conditions
- Hike in remote mountainous regions using maps, compass and GPS
- Assist in reforestation activities, including planting and site preparation
The Ecological Restoration Institute (ERI) at Northern Arizona University (NAU) is seeking to fill a position for a Research Associate who will implement the ERI’s forest products business and biomass utilization projects in accordance with the ERI and NAU strategic plans and annual work plans set out by the organization. The successful candidate will work collaboratively to develop new research projects, manage ongoing research activities, support the ERI’s outreach programs on federal, state, tribal, and private lands, and assist in the development of forest products industry and wood utilization innovation strategies. S/he will work within the guidelines, policies, and mission of the ERI and NAU.
The ideal candidate would start in March 2022 or soon after. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Planning and designing new research projects, establishing priorities, and recommending work schedules and costs.
- Performing complex statistical analyses which includes selecting appropriate analysis procedure, setting up data for analysis, and producing written reports and journal articles on the result of the analysis.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties at professional conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Coordinate the efforts of implementing forest operations and biomass utilization projects between federal, state and local funding agencies.
- Effectively use technology and tools in forest products business management and in-woods forest operations to facilitate project's success.
- Supervise and train classified staff, graduate research assistants or undergraduate student employees.
- Liaisons with other NAU departments to ensure success of project.
For more information on the Ecological Restoration Institute, please visit https://nau.edu/ERI/.
The USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Forest Operations Research Unit is seeking applicants for a permanent, full-time Forester position at the GS-5/7/9 level to support our research team.
The position will be located in Auburn, AL.
The job announcement, currently available in the USA Jobs portal, lists several forester positions to be filled within the Southern Research Station across the southeastern states. To view more information on the position(s) and to apply, please visit this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/643847700