Forest Manager – University of Maine School of Forest Resources (updated 17-Feb-2015)
The University of Maine, School of Forest Resources is seeking to hire a full-time Forest Manager for lands owned by the University of Maine and the University of Maine Foundation. The Forest Manager oversees all operations on 13,000 acres of diverse forest properties throughout Maine, with emphasis on the nearby Demeritt and Penobscot Experimental Forests. Duties include developing and implementing state-of-the-art inventory systems, writing and implementing management plans, and maintaining an administrative infrastructure that serve as models for students and landowners. Close cooperation with faculty and diverse stakeholders is essential, as the forests are heavily used for teaching, research, and public recreation. The Forest Manager will be involved in undergraduate capstone and M.F. projects, and the forestry (May Term) field camp.
This is a 12-month professional position reporting to the Director of the School of Forest Resources. The Forest Manager supervises two full-time employees and several temporary student employees (undergraduate and graduate).
- B.S. or M.F. degree accredited by the Society of American Foresters;
- Licensed Maine forester, or capable of being licensed within one year;
- A minimum of two years of experience in a forestry-related position;
- Proficiency with modern forest management quantitative tools and computer applications, including GPS, GIS, inventory processing, and stand-level growth simulators; and
- Ability to cooperate with diverse faculty and stakeholders, including students, the general public, professional foresters, and researchers and staff of the USDA Forest Service, Northern Research Station.
In addition to the above, experience or demonstrated qualifications in the following is desirable:
- Managing forest properties for multiple values;
- Writing forest management plans for small and large properties;
- Overseeing stumpage sales and contracted harvesting operations;
- Managing public use and integrating forest operations with recreation;
- Administering real-estate transactions and keeping property boundaries and records current;
- Managing budgets and supervising employees, including students, with diverse backgrounds;
- Applying advanced forest modeling programs (e.g., Forest Vegetation Simulator, Landscape Management System, Woodstock) for harvest scheduling and forest planning;
- Practicing silviculture of Maine forest types (eastern white pine, eastern hemlock, spruce-fir, and northern hardwoods); and
- Hold the necessary credentials to serve on Master of Forestry graduate student committees (requires an earned Master’s or Ph.D. degree).
To view the full job description and to apply for the position please visit http://umaine.hiretouch.com Interested applicants will need to complete an application and provide the names and contact information for three professional references, and upload a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will begin on March 16, 2015. Position is available June 1, 2015. Appropriate background checks are required.
Inquiries or questions about this job announcement can be forwarded to Robert S. Seymour, who is serving as the chairperson of this search committee, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.