Job ID: 2015-1848
Candidate can reply to: Jim Tuttle, Operations Manager, 907-228-7321.
Address: 1900 First Avenue Ste 315, Ketchikan, AK
Sealaska Timber Corporation is seeking to hire an experienced Forest Engineer to support our onsite Operations to join our team as quickly as possible. This person will conduct all aspects of field engineering, primarily focusing on logging unit and road layout. The Forest Engineer will work closely with others in the Operations Department to develop optimal harvest plans and submit operating plans for permitting. This person must be able to work independently in remote locations, in adverse weather conditions, and difficult terrain. This is a salaried, fulltime opening based out of our Ketchikan, AK, base office. No third parties or agencies at this time, please. Local candidates to the area are preferred.
1. Evaluate timber and road building conditions for proposed logging units.
2. Work with others to ensure that all required State and Federal permits, in regards to harvest operations, are submitted properly and on time.
3. Conduct field engineering tasks as necessary in the development of harvest operations.
4. Work with the GIS Technician to ensure updated mapping data is incorporated into the GIS database.
5. Ensure contractor compliance with logging and road construction contract terms.
6. Become familiar with Sealaska Timber Corp. export log sorts.
7. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. B.S. Forestry Engineering degree desired but not necessary.
2. Experience in field engineering in southeast Alaska desired.
3. Computer and GPS skills essential.
4. Must be able to travel by float plane, boat and helicopter, and spend significant time away from home.
5. Must be willing to work alone in remote, rugged country and in adverse weather conditions.
6. Some timber cruising experience helpful but not necessary.