Sierra Pacific Industries / Seed Orchard Technician
Burlington Forest District, WA
Our Burlington Forestry District has an opening for a qualified individual to help manage the Company’s Whidbey seed orchard. This is a seasonal position near Coupeville, WA that starts immediately and ends October 2023.
Flexibility for educational goals such as class enrollment will be considered. Seed Orchard Technicians earn $18 – $21 per hour! Applicants from outside the area may be eligible for a housing allowance.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Perform cultural activities such as mowing, fertilizer application, grafting, and pruning
- Operate and maintain irrigation systems
- Utilize hand and power tools and operate heavy equipment as needed
- Participate in cone collection projects
- Collect data at seed orchard, progeny test sites, and remote orchards
- Assist in planning herbicide and insecticide applications to control weeds and insects
- Occasionally assist with miscellaneous projects on working forest lands
- Occasional work on weekends may be required
- Completion of, or progress toward, a bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Agriculture, or a related field preferred, but experience may substitute
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Current valid driver’s license
- Ability to operate a four-wheel drive vehicles and farm equipment such as tractors and orchard lift
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Previous experience with herbicide application or a valid WA Pesticide License is preferred
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM
Because this is more than an invitation, it’s a commitment to offer opportunities for personal and professional growth to everyone! We ask people to grow with us and make the company even better. In addition, every year since 1979, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided an average of $500,000 in scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are qualified and would like to join our team, please send a cover letter referencing this position and a resume
no later than April 21st 2023 to:
Sierra Pacific Industries
Attn: Erin McLeod, Human Resources
PO Box 496014
Redding, CA 96049
or apply online and view all our career opportunities at: spi-ind.com/careers
Sierra Pacific is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer, including those with disabilities and veterans. We are a drug- and tobacco-free workplace.