COFE-FORMEC 2021 Joint Virtual Meeting
Forest Engineering Family – Growing Forward Together
September 27-30, 2021
The 43rd annual meeting of the Council on Forest Engineering (COFE) and the 53rd annual meeting of the International Symposium on Forest Mechanization (FORMEC) will occur jointly as a virtual meeting in 2021. This event will be the second of the three consecutive annual joint meetings scheduled between COFE and FORMEC.
The 2021 joint meeting follows the historic first and in-person joint meeting held in Hungary/Austria in 2019. This year’s joint meeting will be held virtually, and prior to the third COFE/FORMEC joint meeting to be held in-person in Corvallis, Oregon, September 2022. The IUFRO All-Division 3 and Doctoral Conferences will be held in-person alongside the 2022 joint meeting.
The event theme, ‘Forest Engineering Family – Growing Forward Together’, will guide us in building One Big Family of Forest Engineering across continents and sectors. Together, we will learn from the legacy of previous generations, tackle present forest engineering challenges, map our future, and empower our next generations.
Call for Abstracts
Abstract Deadline: May 1, 2021
The Council on Forest Engineering (COFE) and the International Symposium on Forest Mechanization (FORMEC) invite researchers, students, and professionals to submit abstracts for presentation at
the 2021 Joint Annual Meeting. The meeting will feature a wide range of exciting talks, discussions and virtual networking opportunities with researchers, industry
experts, government agencies and academics in the field of Forest Engineering.
Presentation abstracts on forest operations and engineering from any disciplinary background are welcome. Students, investigators, and professionals from around the world are encouraged to submit abstracts. Abstracts will be peer-reviewed and accepted based on content, quality, and available space for oral and poster presentations. Acceptance of individual abstracts will be emailed to the authors no later than June 1, 2021.
Instructions for Abstract Submission
• Enter your presentation title, authors, author affiliations and abstract in the online form (https://cofe-formec2021.org).
• Limit your abstract to a maximum of 400 words.
• Submit the completed abstract form electronically by the deadline, May 1, 2021.
Oral vs. Poster Presentations
You may select your preferred presentation format, oral or poster. The Conference Scientific Committee will do our best to accommodate your preference. Instructions for preparation of pre-recorded oral or e-poster presentations will be sent to individual authors after acceptance of abstracts.
Publication of Abstracts and Full Papers
All accepted abstracts will be published online in the Conference Proceedings. Three publication options will be available for full manuscripts:
• Published in the Conference Proceedings (non-refereed);
• Published as an extended abstract/full manuscript in the Conference Proceedings (non-referred);
• Published in a special issue of the International Journal of Forest Engineering (refereed). Additional information and guidelines for full manuscripts will be provided.
COFE Members Only
If there is enough interest, an optional in-person COFE meeting may be available in Auburn, Alabama in August for COFE members in North America. Should you wish to participate in this optional meeting, you will be asked to select this option during abstract submission. For those who choose the in-person meeting option, their oral presentations will be recorded during the in-person meeting in August and shared at the joint virtual meeting in September.
For Additional Information, Please Contact:
Woodam Chung, Department of Forest Engineering, Resources and Management Oregon State University
Christian Kanzian, Department of Forest and Soil Sciences University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
COFE-FORMEC 2021 Organizing Committee
• Woodam Chung (Chair), Oregon State University
• Karl Stampfer (Co-Chair), University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
• Francisca Belart, Oregon State University
• Christian Kanzian, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
• Jim Kiser, Oregon State University
• Ben Leshchinsky, Oregon State University
• Kevin Lyons, Oregon State University
• Steve Pilkerton, Oregon State University
• Jeff Wimer, Oregon State University
• Michael Wing, Oregon State University
COFE-FORMEC 2021 Scientific Committee
• John Sessions (Chair), Oregon State University
• Raffaele Cavalli, University of Padua
• Han-Sup Han, Northern Arizona University
• Kevin Lyons, Oregon State University
• Dominik Röser, The University of British Columbia
• Karl Stampfer, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
• Rien Visser, University of Canterbury
Conference Organizers: Oregon State University | BOKU Universitat fur Bodenkultur Wien