Acadian Timber (TSX:ADN) is seeking its next VP Maine Timberlands to lead its business in Maine.
Acadian Timber is one of the largest timberland owners in Eastern Canada and the Northeastern U.S. with a total of approximately 2.4 million acres under management. In Maine, Acadian Timber owns and manages ~300,000 acres of freehold timberland located in northern Penobscot and Piscataquis counties, operating under the name Katahdin Forest Management or KFM.
The VP Maine Timberlands is a key member of Acadian Timber’s management team, responsible for the business in Maine, including a team of foresters and all aspects of forest and land management. Activities include silviculture, harvesting, marketing and sales, other land use activities, and stakeholder relations. All silviculture and harvesting activities are performed by third-party contractors.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership in the continuous improvement of Acadian Timber’s business in Maine.
- Develop and deliver on annual and five-year plans for KFM.
- Prepare and adhere to KFM forest management plans.
- Represent Acadian Timber in various forums including regional industry associations.
- Oversee public relations across all stakeholders in Maine.
- Contribute to Acadian’s overall strategy.
- Report to Acadian Timber’s Senior Vice President of Marketing & Operations.
• Safety & Environment
- Responsible for all aspects of safety for KFM.
- Represent KFM in all environmental matters.
- Ensure KFM is compliant with all state laws and regulations, KFM’s Environmental Policy, Forest Management Values and Goals, working forest conservation easement, outcome based forestry, SFI® and best management practices and procedures.
- Ensure forestry personnel are trained with respect to safety and environmental responsibilities.
- Review the effectiveness of the Forestry Environmental Management System.
- Review environmental data for purposes of improving environmental performance.
• Forest Management
- Oversee harvesting, silviculture and road construction and maintenance activities.
- Recruit, setup, and oversee contractors.
- Market and sell all wood products.
- Supply mills with wood product meeting specifications.
- Manage capital projects.
- Ensure forest activities are conducted consistent with the forest management plans and annual operating plans.
• Other Land Use
- Manage land sales and recreation activities in Maine.
• Lead the KFM team, comprised of 3 foresters and 1 land use staff based in Millinocket Maine.
• Adhere to the organization's policies and applicable laws.
• General leadership responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key duty described above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
College or University degree in a Forestry program, and a minimum of 10 years of relevant forestry experience. Leadership experience, contract negotiation, and business background are desirable.
College or University degree in a Business program would be considered an asset.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to effectively build trust with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to establish productive, high-trust relationships, with a successful record of developing and managing relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including contractors, customers, employees, and community.
Ability to focus on achieving financial results while thinking proactively of future opportunities. Ability to look for ways to improve general work processes, methods, and systems.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Maine licensed forester or the ability to achieve such designation in a timely manner.
- Valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & PERKS
Compensation will be determined based on the experience of the candidate.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Benefits: Extended health care
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Location: Based in Millinocket Maine (office) with field work in north-central Maine
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.