Our Southern Oregon operations has an opening for an experienced Forester. The safe and efficient growing of commercial forests for harvest, in an environmentally and economically sound manner, is the core of this role. This position based out of our office in Shady Cove and reports to the South Valley Area Manager (located near Eugene), with additional accountabilities to the Regional Forester for silvicultural activities in the area. It is a full-time, exempt position. Salary level is dependent on skills and experience.
Primary responsibilities include site preparation (chemical/mechanical), regeneration, land exams, vegetation control (chemical/mechanical), stocking control, commercial thinning, fire protection and involvement in other related fields.
- Making silvicultural prescriptions based on judgment, experience and data.
- Providing energy, critical thinking and enthusiasm for all tree growing activities.
- Being an advocate for industrial forestry.
- Being a role model and mentor for entry level foresters.
- Occasional presentations to colleagues and senior management.
- Project layout, using aerial photos, maps, GIS systems and ground reconnaissance.
- Contract negotiation, bidding, field administration and making payments.
- Developing and tracking budgets and key silvicultural metrics.
- Keeping careful and accurate records of silvicultural activities.
- Using computers for planning, tracking, and forestry inventory.
- Fire preparedness, fire fighting and other protection functions as required.
- Must model and inspect for safe work practices at all times.
- Act as company representative with landowners, government agencies, and community representatives.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal safety statues, environmental requirements and Weyerhaeuser resource and stewardship goals.
- BS degree in Forest Management or closely related field.
- Minimum of 3 years operational forestry experience.
- Knowledge of state and federal wildlife, water and Oregon forest practice rules/statutes.
- Candidates with Northwest regional field experience will be strongly considered.
- Experience preparing, negotiating, administering and monitoring contracts.
- Experience managing expense and capital budgets.
- Must possess strong communication (written and oral), analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Able to develop, priority, plan, implement and manage activities to meet targets and deadlines with occasional extended work periods and weekend work.
- Proficiency in use of personal computers and related software applications such as MS Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, as well as spreadsheet usage.
- Familiarity with Geographical Information Systems is highly desirable.
- Must be a highly motivated, self-directed team player, willing to work independently in an office setting and while traveling to destinations in the woods. Minimum of 50% of work time is spent in the field, much of it on steep or broken ground covered with slash, brush, and occasional poison oak. Field work accomplished under a variety of weather conditions; all that Northwest has to offer.
- Current driver’s license is required as work involves driving on public and private roadways (approx 25,000 per year). Also must have ability to drive a variety of vehicles including vehicles with manual transmissions.
- Has Oregon Pesticide Certified Applicators License or has the ability to achieve the license within 3 months
Interested candidates can apply on-line at http://weyer.jobs/11953 by 2/19/18.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.